z/OS R4 going to z/OS R6 and currently we run with 16 CP's on-line INITIAL
at IPL on our largest CEC and normally run with the max on our other machine
except for systems programming test partitions.  This is of course at IPL
what happens next varies widely and often.  We use IRD CPU and weight
management and as workloads shift so do CP's.   It has largely gotten us out
of the LPAR CP allocation business and more focused on tuning the WLM
Policy.

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                Performance and Availability Management
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                (office)  301.986.3574

"Think big, act bold, start simple, grow fast..."