Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 1:12 AM
Subject: Re: New PCs Getting Kicked Off the Mainframe

OnNet Host Suite 3270 Terminal
emulation.

Has anyone run into problems like this, or have a good idea of where
to look?  I am going to run a trace on their terminal, although I
haven't done that lately.  I'll have to figure out how to start it.

**** pardon any resend ---- My newsreader choked *****

After having worked with OnNet and its cousins for the past 10 years, I
can tell you a couple of things.
1) We are looking for a replacement because we have been told that OnNet
"does not work" on XP.   I have no details on the symptoms associcated
with "Does not work" but even the vendor recommends that you upgrade to
Rumba (since Rumba bought out the NetManage family)
2) The OnNet family used to have a parameter that said "3270 timeout'
(or something like that).  The documentation implied that the timeout
was for connect processing, but in practice it hung a timer on every
interaction with the host.  If a user took more than 'x' seconds to
complete their data entry, the PC window would self distruct.

Bottom line.  Get a new Emulator...  From our latest evaluation, I
recommend Bluezone..   It is small but does the job without the bloat of
classics like IBM PComm or Rumba.   When Web delivered, it can be
updated without a road trip to every remote location.   Others offered
similar features, but the web product and the desktop product had major
functional and feature differences, even within the same product line.
We were trying to simplify to a single, easily maintained TN3270/FTP
client.
IBM Host on Demand was close, but it was almost double the download size
and behaved (or totally failed) depending upon the level of Java on the
PC.

Of course, with all that said, it looks like they are just going to pick
something 'cheap' that was built by a couple of PC oriented programmers
who developed the program in their garage on weekends.   (yes, I am
frustrated at the disregard given to the opinions of the actual USERS of
3270 devices)