On 4 Aug 2005 06:52:53 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main (Message-ID:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) [EMAIL PROTECTED] (McKown, John) wrote:

My impression is that a "dumbed down interface" is the one the other guy uses.

My concept of a "dumbed down interface" is really "an interface which can be used by ignorant, untrained, underpaid, unskilled employees".

My definition is similar, but not matching. I figure it's an interface that makes common tasks *very* easy to do, but makes uncommon tasks either impossible or very difficult to do (even if you know how).

Most (but not all) GUIs are dumbed-down. Certain tasks require you to drill down through way too many levels of menu.

By contrast, not-dumbed-down interfaces tend to require a fair investment in time before the user can figure out how to do even common tasks. However, once one knows how to do any task (common or not), it is generally easy to perform.

While I have seen some interfaces (generally GUI) which combine the best of both, I haven't seen many.