On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 00:00:00 GMT, Ted MacNEIL
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is a CMC still needed (or supported) in a TCP/IP configuration?
>
>Also, where can I look this up.

I've had arguments with some of the TCP/IP developers over this.
Some of them feel CMC is meaningful in a TCP/IP environment.  I hold
that it is counterproductive.  CMC (plus backup CMC) made sense in a
subarea SNA environment where "network ownership" made sense.  Network
management had to be done fom the owner; network status information
was available only from the owner.

None of that is true in a TCP/IP environment.  Nobody "owns" the network,
and with DVIPA (Sysplex Distributor, etc.) IP addrs can move around from
host to host.  Tying network management to a specific MVS makes no sense
whatsoever.  What is really needed is a tool that allows all network
management and diagnostic work to be done from any host - just the
opposite of a CMC.

That same argument pretty much holds for APPN networks, too.

Pat O'Keefe