As a bit of a public service -- and since many of the customers I work with
are trying to evaluate all their options for this pressing problem -- I
thought I'd list the products I know about that support tape encryption.
I'm keenly interested to hear if I forgot any -- thanks.

Please note that anything labeled "statement of intention" is subject to
change. Unless otherwise noted, these products are available now.

Software
--------

ASE
SLiKZiP
http://www.slikzip.com/szabout.htm

Data21
ZIP/390
http://www.data21.com/products/zip/default.asp

IBM
(*) Statement of Intention (for 2005 delivery)
[Issued July 27, 2005.]
http://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/7/897/ENUS205-167/ENUS205-167.PDF

IBM
(*) FILCRYPT
[Withdrawn from marketing in July, 2005, in anticipation of new product
(above).]

Innovation Data Processing
FDRCRYPT
[Now in testing. Later version planned for ICSF support.]
http://www.innovationdp.fdr.com/products/fdrcrypt/index.cfm

McAfee
E-Business Server for OS/390 ("PGP")
http://www.mcafeesecurity.com/us/products/mcafee/encryption/ebusiness_server_os390.htm

Online Technical Productions
(*) MegaCryption/MVS
http://www.megacryption.cc

PKWARE
SecureZIP for zSeries
http://pkzip.com/products/enterprise/zseries/sz/index.php

(*) Supports ICSF hardware crypto acceleration (if available), relieving
some processing overhead from CPs.

Hardware
--------

CentricStor
CentricStor-Decru Encryption Appliance
http://www.centricstorusa.com/English/Products/CentricStor_DataFort.html

IBM
TotalStorage Products
[Statement of Intention issued July 27, 2005. No delivery date(s) specified.]
http://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/1/897/ENUS105-241/ENUS105-241.PDF

SecureAgent Software
SecureTape Solution
http://www.secureagent.com/securetape/securetape2.htm

NOTES and COMMENTS
------------------

1. Products vary in whether they use ICSF for key management services (in
addition to crypto acceleration). Regardless, careful planning is required
for key management to assure authorized recoverability, especially in DR
situations. Loss of keys means data loss! Treat the key database just like
any other precious security resource, such as RACF (or ACF2 or TopSecret)
databases.

2. In some sense encryption of backup tapes is philosophically incompatible
with rapid and easy data access in the event of an emergency, so many
organizations will initially opt for tape encryption only when tapes leave
the data center (e.g. for partner exchange).

3. Hardware-based approaches typically require compatible equipment at
recovery and recipient sites, although some may offer a lower performance
software fallback option.

4. Products vary in whether they support pre-compression (and in the
effectiveness and processing intensity of that pre-compression) prior to
writing to tape. Encrypted data arriving at the tape drive will typically
not compress well, so plan accordingly.

5. Products may vary in their ability to generate tape formats readable on
non-zSeries systems. However, nearly all use standard encryption formats
such as AES that generally interoperate cross-platform.

6. None of these solutions will solve the problem of tape recipients who
then intentionally or inadvertantly lose authorized custody of data once
unencrypted. (If the data lands on somebody's notebook computer which is
then stolen, same problem.) In other words, data protection involves
end-to-end planning and procedures.

7. ICSF crypto performance will vary according to chosen encryption
algorithm and server model. For example, every zSeries system has at least
two types of hardware acceleration: crypto card-based (such as the
CryptoExpress2 PCI adapters) and PU-based (CPACF a.k.a. CP Assist). If the
goal is to offload as much processing work from main CPs, then, generally,
storage-related encryption (including tape) works best on the CP Assist
hardware. Network-related encryption (e.g. SSL) does well with the crypto
cards. CP Assist has a more limited set of supported encryption algorithms,
so choose carefully. 3DES is available, but the System z9 adds AES (and
SHA-256) into CP Assist. Organizations starting to use more AES, especially
for storage-related encryption, should factor that into capacity planning
and model upgrade decisions to see if a System z9 would offer any financial
savings. Most monitoring products (Tivoli OMEGAMON, TMON, MainView, etc.)
offer standard or optional ICSF monitoring to keep tabs on resource utilization.

8. I've concentrated on z/OS-related products in this list. I'd very much
like to add options for the other operating systems to this list if someone
has done homework on that. (Some on this list do.)

9. Many organizations are attempting to shift certain tape exchanges toward
secured network exchanges. That shift may be viable in many situations, and
z/OS already has ample support for network-related encryption, such as SFTP
and SSH. But please note that FTP, despite its popularity, has some quality
of service weaknesses. For example, unless FTP'ing between two very recent
z/OS releases (where there's some special handshaking), there's no guarantee
an entire file will arrive. (FTP has some problems signaling end of file.)
You should run an independent after-verification of some sort to make sure a
file arrives complete and intact. Also, FTP is NOT a good way to integrate
applications (again, despite its popularity in that role). Sit down with a
zSeries software architect if you're in that situation to do some good planning.