It's the "American way".  :-/

E.g., sometime in the 1970s the US CONgress enacted legislation to "convert"
the US to the metric system, with a "deadline" of 1980 or thereabouts.  As
you probably noticed at your last SHARE attendance, we still measure things
in inches, feet, yards, miles, ounces, pounds, pints, quarts, gallons,
degrees Fahrenheit, etc.

    -jc-