In a message dated 8/8/2005 6:08:28 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>No; the 3390 is an FBA disk simulating CKD.

That's what I get for trusting, but not verifying, IBM's technical
publications.  GC26-4573-03, IBM 3390 Direct Access Storage Introduction,  says
"All
3390 models store data using the count-key-data (CKD) record  format."

> I'm not aware of any IBM disk later than the 3350 that wasn't  FBA under
the covers.

I don't usually look under the covers.  I just read the technical  doc.

>Not with the advent of the 3375; they were all FBA. The  computations
>for track capacity should have tipped you off to  that.

This is true.  The formulas indicate an underlying unit of track  storage
somewhere around 32 bytes, if I remember correctly.  But since the  control
units
supported only CKD and ECKD commands for these quasi-CKD disks and  did not
support the official FBA command set that was used with the 3310 and  3370 real
FBA devices, I assumed the devices were really CKD.  Control  units were
doing more mapping than I realized.

Bill Fairchild