Ted MacNEIL wrote:

Remember, 'N-3' was from the old OS/390 coexistence rules. For z/OS,
supported releases coexist.

Semantically null.
(8-{]}

1.4 through 1.7 are supported.
1.4 is N-3 from 1.7.

Until 1.8 is released, we won't know for sure.

I have found nothing that refutes 'N-3', nor supports your statement.

The following paragraph began appearing in z/OS-related announcement letters beginning with 203-131:

Changes to the Coexistence-Migration-Fallback Policy: IBM intends to align the Coexistence-Migration-Fallback policy with the Service policy. The intention of this policy change is to simplify and provide greater predictability to aid in release migrations. IBM intends to continue with the practice of providing service support for each release of z/OS or z/OS.e for three years following its general availability (GA) date. IBM, at its sole discretion, may choose to leave a release supported for more than three years. This change to the Coexistence-Migration-Fallback policy is planned to be effective starting with the first release of the new annual release cycle (that is, with z/OS V1.6). In some cases, more than three releases may be coexistence, migration, and fallback supported, if IBM at its sole discretion chooses to provide service support for greater than three years for a release. However, as an exception, any z/OS or z/OS.e release having three or fewer months of service remaining at the time of GA of a new release will not be coexistence, migration, and fallback supported.

Beginning with the z/OS V1.6 announcement (204-180), the text was changed to read:

Starting with z/OS V1.6, the Coexistence-Migration-Fallback policy aligns with the Service policy. The intention of this policy is to simplify and provide greater predictability to aid in release migrations. IBM intends to continue with the practice of providing service support for each release of z/OS or z/OS.e for three years following its general availability (GA) date. IBM, at its sole discretion, may choose to leave a release supported for more than three years. This Coexistence-Migration-Fallback policy is effective starting with the first release of the new annual release cycle, z/OS and z/OS.e V1.6. In some cases, more than three releases may be coexistence, migration, and fallback supported, if IBM at its sole discretion chooses to provide service support for greater than three years for a release. However, any z/OS or z/OS.e release having three or fewer months of service remaining at the time of GA of a new release will not be coexistence, migration, and fallback supported.

| Edward E. Jaffe                |                                |
| Mgr, Research & Development    | [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
| Phoenix Software International | Tel: (310) 338-0400 x318       |
| 5200 W Century Blvd, Suite 800 | Fax: (310) 338-0801            |
| Los Angeles, CA 90045          | http://www.phoenixsoftware.com |