I've been coding in REXX since 1986 (started on VM).  I like to consider
myself somewhat proficient in it.   However, this little tidbit ate my lunch
today.  I was running through ASID numbers in an IPCS dump.  I was testing
my lookup logic with an ASID of zeros, and kept getting incorrect output.
My subroutine kept returning ASID 224 (decimal), and I was expecting it to
fail.

Can you guess what the problem turned out to be?  ;-)

/*  rexx */
test_asid = "0000" ;
call loop_through_ascbs ;
exit ;

loop_through_ascbs:
ascbasid = obtain_data( ascb@ , x2d( 24 ) , 2 )  ;     /* IPCS subroutine to
extract data from the dump */
asid = ascbasid    /* the two byte hex asid value  */
if asid = test_asid then do ;
  say "SNOC"
  end ;
return 0 ;