In a recent note, Knutson, Sam said:

> Date:         Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:35:41 -0400
>
> SVC 99 (DYNALLOC) or BPXWDYN service.  What language is your program written
> in?

BPXWDYN sounds promising.  It's complicated by the fact that at
the point at which Roger wishes to delete, the data set is not
yet catalogued.  If he allocates specifying unit and volume,
what happens when deallocation attempts to catalog a data set
not in the VTOC.

How about:

    CLOSE
    BPXWDYN('free ...')  /* data set is catalogued for reallocation.  */
    BPXWDYN('alloc old delete ...')  /* data set will be deleted.  */

... but will existing code continue to attempt to write to the
data set?  Could he re-open the DCB with a temporary data set?

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL