[NFN] Capomaestro writes:

How about the retrieval operation? 'Data Areas' maps the PXT and PPD with
VSM (IGV-prefixed) macros. But even the cell pool callable services
(CSRxxxxx) do not have a mechanism AFAICS.

As I'm sure you know,

o CSRP[4]BLD constructs a cell pool and sets a pointer to it

o CSRP[4]GET et al. obtrain a cell from a nominated pool, and

o CSRPFRE or CSRC4FRE et al. return a cell to its pool for notional reuse.

After that you're on your own. For my own purposes, I organize sets of cells into (a) a set of hashed ordered sublists, (b) a binary-search trees, or the like. I find it convenient to manage these lists in completely decoupled fashion, using chaining blocks EXTERNAL to them of such forms as

declare 1 lcb based(cbp),  /* list chaining block */
 2 nxttp pointer,    /* forward chaining */
 2 cellp pointer,     /* -> cell */
 2 keybp pointer ;  /* -> key block */

declare 1 bstcb based(bstcbp),  /* BST chaining block */
 2 leftp pointer,      /* -> left subtree */
 2 rghtp pointer,    /* -> right dsubtree */
 2 cellp[ pointer,    /* -> -> cell */
 2 keybp pointer ;  /* -> key block */

and the like. But these are the schemes [and routines] I use to manage other sorts of lists too, e.g., those that occupy STORAGE-allocated and -freed storage. The point, to repeat myself now, is that you are on your own and should be.

Worth mentioning---kudos to some group within IBM---is that the 64-bit versions of these macros have been surprisingly trouble-free for me.

John Gilmore
Ashland, MA 01721
USA