Tom, I've been half watching this thread - given my general antipathy to
the Unix impimentation on z/OS.
Maybe we are too simply setup here, but I don't see your issue.

We have a target zone per resvol (set; res plus extension). When we clone,
we mount the new root at /service.
Maint is APPLY'd, and /service unmounted. The duration of the mount is as
limited as we can reasonably manage.

All maint is done by one team, again one target (resvol) and within a known
timeframe as we go through a published roll-out cycle.

No clashes, no concerns.
KISS.

Shane ..