>Would a reIPL function/system command be a useful thing for z/OS? Perhaps:
>V XCF,SYSNAME,sysname,OFF,REIPL

>What I've always disliked about V XFC,sysname,OFFLINE is that a System
>cannot take itself out of the Sysplex.

>Last time I tried it could. Although, I didn't think it was good form
>if you have other systems up in the plex from which the XCF command
>could be issued.

While I like the option (saves me from going to the HMC to click the icons)
I am not sure if it is a good idea, especially reading the discussion about
the scope of the VARY XCF command and that some people are reluctant to
issue it from the system they are currently shutting down.

Back when I was doing level2 support, I had a *very* hard time getting
sysplex installations to issue the V XCF command *at all*! I kept asking
them to use it and kept hearing that 'MVS recovery is good enough so we
don't need it', up until some timing related bug caused the reIPL to fail.
At that point I said 'I told you so'. :-)

While I am enforcing (or attempting to enforce) the V XCF command even on
our monoplexes, is issuing the command now standard practise, or are there
still installations out there that don't do it?

As for the reIPL option, we are follwing the IBM recommendation to 'lock the
icon' to prevent disruptive changes. How would that figure into the command
and reIPL?

On the positive side, for a standard reIPL (to clean up ESQA/ECSA leakages)
one operator unlocked the wrong icon and took down a productive system at
full flight. That would not have happened with a reIPL option of V XCF.

Regards, Barbara Nitz