From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ron and Jenny Hawkins
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 7:18 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Most effective BUFNO?

Charles,

This is why in my earlier post I said that 16 works for half track
blocking. 8x27998=223984 which means the chain length will be limited to
8 half track blocks. However MVS loves CPU/IO overlap, so we have
another eight buffers that can be processed while the other eight are
used for IO.

I like Barry's formula, because it is not arbitrary - it is based on the
limits of SAM-E. However I would recommend doubling his result.