In a recent note, Ed Finnell said:

> Date:         Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:24:39 EDT
>
> Check your binder PARMs and the entry point you're using. LET
> will replace bad with good. NOLET replaces but marks as not  executable.

IIRC, as long as you have the (R) option on the NAME statement, the
Binder will replace a bad load module with a good one, regardless
of the LET value.  I'm not sure why you believe NOLET causes the
Binder to replace a bad load module with a good one, then mark the
good load module as not executable.  Otherwise, as I RTFM:

#6.3.19 "z/OS V1R5.0 MVS Program Management: User's Guide and Reference
  6.3.19 LET: Let execute option
   Ordinarily, the binder marks an output program module as nonexecutable
   when an error with a severity level of 8 or higher is encountered. You
   can override this by specifying a different severity level using the
   LET option. The binder then marks the module as not-executable only if
   an error is encountered whose severity level is higher than what you
   specified.

   LET=4 is the default value. Coding the NOLET keyword will cause the
   binder to mark the output module as nonexecutable when an error occurs
   with a severity level of 4 or higher. If LET is specified without a
   value, LET(8) is assumed.

And:

  6.3.38 STORENX: Store not-executable module

    Normally, the binder does not replace an executable module in a
   program library with a not-executable version. You can override this
   standard action with the STORENX option.

   When the STORENX option is coded, a new module replaces an existing
   module of the same name regardless of the executable status of either
   module. If the NAME statement is provided, the replace option (R) must
   have been coded.

   STORENX=NO is the default value and can also be specified with the
   keyword NOSTORENX.

So, if I want to get a XREF map so I can find what CSECT contains my
UNRESOLVED, I must specify STORENX.  But I'd really prefer to be able
to diagnose the problem without storing the bad load module.  Bad
design, all in all.

-- gil
--
StorageTek