On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:00:00 GMT, Ted MacNEIL
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>may define data residing below 16M if ALL31 is set to OFF
>[IBM-supplied default].
>
>IBM recommends ALL31 to be set to on, for overhead reasons.
>
>I have always hated a default set against recommendations, which
>IBM does all the time.

I agree with your dislike but this is probably among the minority of
cases where having the default not the recommended value makes sense.
Until you are sure that you have no 24 bit programs in the mix,
ALL31(ON) could cause application failures.  Thus the default is
probably net safer even though there is the risk of running out of
below the line storage.  ALL31(ON) should be the goal for an
organization.