Bill Fairchild wrote:
In a message dated 9/2/2005 11:46:22 A.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Fortunately, the law imposes a fiduciary responsibility even on  the
companies that wouldn't otherwise care.

And many legal obligations are nullified in case of force majeure, acts of God, insurrection, etc. It all depends on the fine print in one's contract. And, as lawyers are wont to say, you show me the law and I'll show you the loophole. Nothing is cast in concrete. Whether it is fortunate or unfortunate depends on one's side in the argument over responsibility.

I also "like" the lawyers, however it is good that many legal legal duties, like tax payments can be prolongated or even cancelled due to "act of God". AFAIR One of the Apollo 11 crew members was allowed to delay deliver his tax claim beacuse (AFAIR word of J.F. Kennedy) "he was abroad". And it is not "lawyer loophole", but humanitarian behavior. You wont' demand service from a victim of disaster. That would be non-humanitarian. Sometimes - as your business partner is (temporarily or permanently) out of business, you can also suffer, despite you're on another continent.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland