In a Recent post Paul Hanrahan wrote:

"Does the phrase alternate sysres ring a bell with anyone here ?
Know where I can look it up ?"

The phrase alternate sysres is a part of my culture, or at least was up to
March 1999. The maintenance philosophy dictated that our main system volumes
operated in pairs. The active set and a maintenance set. The maintenance set
would receive all changes, which required an IPL to be implemented, and once a
month the IPL would occur off the maintenance set. If the IPL ran smoothly the
maintenance volumes became the active set, and the previous active set became
the new maintenance set. The next maintenance cycle beginning with a clone to
refresh the new maintenance set from the current active set.

This technique was employed to provide push button recovery should an IPL fail,
there being no time to investigate failures given the number of systems being
IPLed in any given night (usually into double figures), let alone the Service
Level commitment to customers.

I am not sure precisely if the term was directly quoted in documentation, but
the process was aided by references to Alternate Master Catalogues, the use of
symbols at IPL, and the splitting of Parmlib information into Common and System
Dependent stuff.

I hope this is of some use.

Kind regards - Terry

Terry Sambrooks
Director
KMS-IT Limited
228 Abbeydale Road South
Dore
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
UK

Tel +44 (0) 114 262 0933
Web www.kmsitltd.co.uk

Reg: England & Wales 3767263 at the above address

All outgoing E-mails are scanned but it remains the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that their system is protected from infection by virus,
Trojans, and worms.