On Sep 7, 2005, at 4:06 PM, McKown, John wrote:

------------------SNIp---------------

Another possibility is "poorly" coded C. I've seen too many programs
from the "old days" which use a C coded loop to move data, one byte at a
time, from one variable to another:

char var1[100], var2[100];
char *in, *out;
in=var1;
out=var2;
for (;*in;out++=in++);

This works OK on an Intel PC. IIRC, it was the ONLY way to do it on the
PDP boxes.

John,

Of course you are correct. I didn't mean to let the PC weenies off so easily. I thought the person who origanally wrote the item had an issue with the IBM side. That being that C++ was faster than COBOL. I may have misunderstood the point the author was writing about. I think there have been other posters in past years saying much of the same thing, tyough.

Ed