In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 09/07/2005
   at 12:33 AM, "Robert A. Rosenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>Since the Attachment is defined as External, it does not get uploaded
> to the SMTP Server and thus does not travel with the message.

Then it's not an attachment and you still have to deal with the issue
of how to transmit it.

>Try checking out http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2046.html [RFC 2046 -
>Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) Part Two: Media Types]
>section 5.2.3 External-Body Subtype.

That defines a "message/external-body" entity; it does not say that an
MTA will automatically access the external body.

>By the receiving MUA when it accepts the message.

RFC 2046 imposes no such requirement.

>Check out the above section and the following example sections.

I have; there isn't even a suggestion that the MUA must do as you
describe. All that exists is a warning in 5.2.3.6 that *if* the MUA
does so then there are security concerns.