Hi,

Has anyone experiences with using DFSMSdss DEFRAG with Flashcopy II enabled
DASD controllers you would care to share?  It looks like at z/OS R5 DFSMSdss
was enhanced to exploit data set level Flashcopy by DEFRAG.

The FASTREPLICATION(REQUIRED | PREFERRED | NONE) keyword tells DFSMSdss how
you want to use fast replication methods such as FlashCopy. The default is
FASTREPLICATION(PREFERRED).

http://shareew.prod.web.sba.com/client_files/callpapers/attach/SHARE_in_New_
York/S3037LG.pdf

We had not been running DEFRAG or COMPAKTOR on scheduled basis for a long
time due to the contention it causes on our DASD.   This is worsened as we
move to large volumes sizes with 3390-9, 3390-27, 3390-54 all in play here.
One of our storage guys has made an effort to get COMPAKTOR running for most
of the non-database, non-system volumes in the shop recently every week to
do defragmentation and data set grooming.

It tends to hang up some number of jobs and this is worsened by the fact we
use Thruput Manager and most jobs are in STANDBY mode which is not visible
to COMPAKTOR.

I am really interested in DFSMSdss DEFRAG performance compared to COMPAKTOR
especially with Flashcopy II available.  The folks at Innovation indicate
they have benchmarked FlashCopy II exploitation and that it has not been
implemented in COMPAKTOR because it doesn't really help.  I wondered what
results anyone had gotten with IBM DEFRAG since it appears that put quite a
bit of work in to exploit it.

The solution I had used for years in a smaller environment was to simply
avoid any kind of scheduled DEFRAG processing as it was too impacting
instead only doing defrag on an exception basis.  This did require managing
to a little higher level of free space in the pools.

Other solutions on the market include Interchips Real-Time Defrag now
marketed by Mainstar.  http://www.mainstar.com/products/hsmt/rtd/index.asp

http://shareew.prod.web.sba.com/client_files/callpapers/attach/SHARE_in_New_
York/S3023kra.pdf

What are you doing today with DEFRAG?  Do you still run daily or weekly
DEFRAG or COMPAKTOR runs?   Any other options out there?

        Thanks,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                Performance and Availability Management
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                (office)  301.986.3574

Disc space, the final frontier!

<>

This email/fax message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution of this email/fax is prohibited.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all paper and electronic
copies of the original message.