From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Hoesly, Bret
Sent: 10 September 2005 00:02
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Two HSM Questions

Hello everyone,

According to everything I've read in the manuals, the first step of the HSM
daily autobackup function is to back up the CDS and Journal files.  Is there
a way to disable this process?  I ask because when our daily autobackups
start it bypasses the CDS backups and goes immediately on to the volume
backups.  We would like the CDS/Journal backups to run "as advertised" with
the daily autobackups but can't figure out why this is not happening.
Unfortunately, the person who set up most of our HSM environment is no
longer employed here, so we're trying to piece together how things were
done.  Any assistance with this quandry would be greatly appreciated.

My second question is what is the preferred methodology for doing a reorg of
a CDS file?  Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing it with IDCAMS
export then import (using the erase parm) versus doing an IDCAMS repro
backup then delete/define and reload the file?

Thank you for your time,

Bret Hoesly
Telephone & Data Systems, Inc.
email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]