From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bruce Hewson
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 6:45 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: time (also: Re: many services)

Hello Dave,

I dont think you have that correct.

The Sysplex Timer is IBM's External Time Reference (ETR) device. It is
connected to the ETR ports on your processor.

The Sysplex Timer itself can be configured to access a time source
external to your site, but that is not an ETR in the zBox sense.

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:03:55 -0700, Gibney, David Allen,Jr
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>   I believe the is a difference between a Sysplex Timer and an ETR
>(External Time Reference). I think ETR is a subscription, you might
>choose to do without and manually instruct the Sysplex Timer.
>  If I'm correct, the new function with z/OS 1.7 is of limited value
>for those of us who would like to use a local or other NTP reference to

>keep our z/OS systems in sync with our other boxes, which multiply
>faster than rabbits.

Regards
Bruce Hewson

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html