Mark,

I have been advocating this migration in our Sysplex and here are excerpts
from an emails I wrote with links that may help.

The first IBM implementation of tape sharing back in MVS/ESA 5.2.2 had many
faults.  The rewrite IBM did a while ago commonly called ATS Star works very
well and is included free in base z/OS.  A number of other sites have used
this base feature to replace GTAF (MIA). <$SNIP>

It is documented in
SA22-7625 MVS Setting Up A Sysplex
Appendix G.0 Appendix G. Specifying Automatic Tape Switching (ATS STAR)

http://tinyurl.com/aswzw

Or

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IEA2F132/CCONTENT
S?SHELF=IEA2BK34&DN=SA22-7625-06&DT=20030423145429

See also

GA22-7525 HCD Planning
2.3.3 Using automatic tape switching
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IEA2G841/CCONTENT
S?DT=20040421150502&=

Or

http://tinyurl.com/ceo6x

Finally a really excellent set of SHARE presentation by the designer Scott
Fagen (IBM) and a couple users.  <SNIP> from the SHARE web site here

http://ew.share.org/proceedingmod/abstract.cfm?abstract_id=4823

2811 - ATS Star Implementation, Diagnostics, and User Experiences
Available with z/OS 1.2 and installation of selected APARs, ATS Star
improves the availability and system management characteristics of MVS
Automatic Tape switching function.
The speakers will discuss:
The new design for Sysplex tape sharing
Requirements for implementation
IEFAUTOS migration
Problem diagnosis and recovery
User experiences
OEM tape sharing migration

I hope that helps.

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                Performance and Availability Management
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                (office)  301.986.3574

This time, like all time, is a very good one if we but know what to do with
it. - Ralph Waldo Emerson