AFAIK you cannot. All you can is to write 36-track data on CST cart.
You can write 18-track data on CST cart and then read it in 36-track drive.
Hints: 18-track is 3480 (also 3480X, 3490), 36-track is 3490E.
36-track drive can write 36-track data and *read* 18-track data.

we discussed this a few weeks ago. The 3490-F11 is a strange beast which CAN write in either 18 or 36-track format, unlike most of its siblings. It was generally marked for open system connection, not S/390 connection but it can be made to work on S/390. Sylvia has apparently figured out how to tell it to write in 18.

I recall that we used to have a SCSI 3490-lookalike that we attached to our MP3000 for OS/390. It could write in either format, but the drive had 2 device addresses, depending on which format you wanted to write.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR