Peter Relson wrote:

(HLASM imposes a limit of 255 on return code.  Very
stingy to save 3 bytes somewhere.)

Actually, it only (in a way) saves 4 bits somewhere.
Only the last 12 bits of the return value in register 15
appear to be used (they're certainly the only bits that
are presented in the standard system messages).

Indeed. When JES3 first started maintaining maximum step completion codes in its control blocks, they stored the full 4-byte value. We noticed this "enhancement" right away and decided to display the full value in (E)JES displays. It was wonderful! The return code values from programs like FTP finally made sense! JES3 even surfaced this "extended" return code value to SSI 80 callers through STTRMXRC. As a programmer, all you had to do to convert to the old-style return codes was simply AND with a mask like x'00000FFF'.

Alas, some ijit user got confused because the values we displayed disagreed with those shown in certain messages produced by the BCP so JES3 "fixed" the problem (via APAR OW47363) by ANDing the value /before/ storing into the control block! Having become accustomed to -- and somewhat reliant upon -- the "enhanced" return codes, I argued strenuously against this change.

I was overruled.

--
| Edward E. Jaffe                |                                |