Yes, the active connection(s) is not the problem I was bringing up.  But,
when you record the information for later playback you have to keep each
session straight so you can send the input back to the proper replay
session.  This would have to be based on the client IP address and port
number for the original session.  I was thinking along the lines of a
multi-session facility.  This would not be a problem if you are supporting a
single session.

  Snipped some stuff

> > And to build the screen image buffer from the 3270 data
> > streams, you have to
> > basically write a 3270 emulator.
>
> True. But I think this would be true of any "capture" type program which
> wants to compare 3270 screens. So this particular capture method
> shouldn't be any harder than any other capture method.

Not if he can use an existing facility to handle all the 3270 data and just
get access to the screen image data.

> > Agreed, these things can be handled, but I don't think this
> > would be an easy
> > path to do what he wants.
>
> Again, I agree. It would not be easy in the absolute sense. But I do
> think that it would be "easier" (FSVO easier) than doing the equivalent
> processing with a VTAM LU "capture" program.
>
> Actually, if I were needing this, I would likely do the capture using
> Linux. I've not thought about it in detail, but using "s3270" and/or
> "expect" with "x3270" come to mind.

Yes, something along those lines.  Again, using an existing facility without
having to write the 3270 emulator.

> --
> John McKown
> Senior Systems Programmer
> UICI Insurance Center
> Information Technology

Chuck Arney
illustro Systems International, LLC
http://www.illustro.com
Access 3270 data from anywhere with z/XML-Host
Access 3270 apps from the web with z/Web-Host
Access CMS minidisks from OS/390 or VSE with CMSACCess
Voice: 972-296-6166