I'm doing an analysis of one of our application programs.  As part of this, I'm
seeing the COBOL code generate a lot of PACK/UNPACK instruction pairs.

Does anyone have an idea on the performance impact of all these (potential
millions of executions in a single run)?

What's the impact of just the PACK instruction?

I see lots of comparisons where COBOL has to generate PACK statements before
doing the compare.

Thanks,

Peter I. Vander Woude
Sr. Mainframe Engineer