On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:11:14 -0500, Glenn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I'm curious how other shops are 'configured'.  We currently use the CA-MII
>( Multi-Image Integrity ) and
>CA-MIA ( Multi-Image Allocation ) products.  We are having a
>discussion/issue regarding the ENQ
>Processing Mode of CA-MII, which can be either 'SELECT' or 'ALLSYSTEMS.
>Currently, we use
>the 'SELECT' ENQ Processing mode of CA-MII.
>
>If you have the CA-MII product, which mode do you use, 'SELECT' or
>'ALLSYSTEMS?

We converted to PROCESS=ALLSYSTEMS several years ago.  I believe that CA
strongly recommends it, but I suspect the majority of MII customers are
still PROCESS=SELECT (ALLSYSTEMS is certainly NOT required in parallel
sysplex).  Really, the only negatives to ALLSYSTEMS are that it requires a
global MII restart to implement and that all RESERVES are converted to
global ENQs unless GDIF=NO is specified for the RESERVE's QNAME.  We'd
prefer to keep the RESERVE unless we specifically ask to convert it.  That
was my only concern going in, but we haven't experienced any negative
repercussions converting RESERVEs we weren't expecting.

The GRS Monitor can help identify SYSTEMS ENQs that MIM is not processing.
Also, if you do this make sure you have SET GDIF COUNT=SYSTEMS and issue
DISPLAY COUNTS commands before and after the change.  I was amazed at the
number of SYSTEMS ENQs we were not serializing because we didn't
specifically code them in the QNAME list.  I sleep a lot better at night
now.

I can't think of many valid reasons for running with PROCESS=SELECT.
You're certainly setting yourself up for trouble if some new
component/product/application comes along issuing SYSTEMS ENQs expecting
them to be serialized.

Dave