In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
> On Sep 25, 2005, at 9:32 PM, John S. Giltner, Jr. wrote:
> >
> ---------------------SNIP----------------------------
> > Yes, I know, but my point was that Linux was not free if you want to
> > run IBM products on it and get support for the IBM products.
> >
> > You can download the required kernel mods and compile your own kernel.
> > Select what packages you want to install and modify as needed to run
> > on a zSeries box.  However, all of the IBM products I have seen that
> > are supported running on zLinux list specific distributions that are
> > not free if you want support for the distribution.
> >

> I will ask question here that I think is relevant. Did they use the C
> compiler for writing it or what? I guess the followup question is which
> C compiler (if thats what they used) to do kernal developement IBM's
> Linux compiler (does that with Linux?).

> I am just curious.

> Since there are a few APARS (and PTFs) out there with the IBM C
> compiler how do the LINUX people handle them, ie do they tell you you
> must recompile the kernal  .

Linux is built with gcc. Dignus offers a z/Linux C compiler, but I've never
heard that it could build the kernel. I don't know of an IBM C product
that creates z/Linux executables. The z/OS compiler has some ASCII support,
but that's a far leap from targetting an ASCII OS.

--
Don Poitras - SAS Development  -  SAS Institute Inc. - SAS Campus Drive
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           (919) 531-5637                Cary, NC 27513