My point is having done this (SETPROG LNKLST,UPDATE,JOB=* known to have
measurable risk but still widely practiced) still won't free up the volume.

The "IPL" link list is special.

LLA is not link list. Stopping LLA does not stop or free link list.  Link
List is older and deeper magic than LLA especially the "IPL" link list which
you cannot get rid of even with industrial strength scrubbing.  The
allocations in XCFAS were a valiant attempt by IBM to keep people from doing
dangerous things later enhancements allows those of us who sometimes need to
drive on the shoulder to manipulate those allocations.  You need to remember
that they are still just safety devices removing them does not remove the
risk if the data sets are still in use by a real (live) link list.

If I understand correctly the "early" form of open is used to open data sets
in the IPL link list ("IPL" link list set).  There is no early close so
volumes that had a link list library on them at IPL are going to have a bit
set in the UCB that will prevent them from being varied offline.  In ALLOCAS
they will be marked as allocated to system.  TMONMVS reflects this as 0000
*SYSTEM in the VOLUME USE UTILITY which plumbs the depths of ALLOCAS.  The
display unit command shows this as uuuu *MASTER*.  I don't know of a way to
get these off-line without zapping the UCB.

If you don't mind the risk you should be able to use SETPROG
LNKLST,UPDATE,JOB=* and a little bit of storage zapping to get sticky
volumes off-line.  Again you have to ask what is the cost to the business if
you wait for the next IPL that can be scheduled compared to working in an
entirely unsupported space.

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                Performance and Availability Management