>  I'm having an issue with z/OS 1.4 slowdowns.
I've been debugging Java related performance problems for the last
4 years.  The problem can be caused by serialization problems between
threads.  It can be either java implemented spin locks or heavy
monitor contention.  In order to identify the problem, I usually get
a dump of the address space when it is exhibiting the peak CPU usage.
Then I run IPCS against it and look at the following:
SYSTRACE ASID(X'nn')
VERBX LEDATA 'NTH(*)'
CTRACE COMP(SYSOMVS) FULL ASID(X'nn)
In the SYSTRACE, look to see whether one or more threads from your
application are dominating the trace.  If nothing jumps out at you, I
sometimes run the output to a data set and sort the data by TCB as well
as by function to see what is predominate.
If I see a TCB(s) that seems to be showing up a lot, I then look at the
ledata output to see what the C stack looks like.
The CTRACE might help identify failing syscalls or possibly excessive
calls.
There is also the possibility that you are running into heavy Garbage
Collection (GC).  I beleive there are JVM options to allow you to report
GC statistics.  Not sure what the options are.
If you run out of options, send me a note.

Don Ault, 8-295-1750, 845-435-1750