Hi Everyone,

It appears we will be getting 3592 tape drives to eventually replace the 3590
MagStar units. I'm told the media for the two devices is not compatible.
However, I'm also told that the 3592's are defined as 3590's in the IODF. If
this is true, I'm assuming the hex value of the 3592 will be the same as the
3590 (X'78048083'). If this is true, when a job requests a file for input, and
that file is on a tape created on a 3590 MagStar, what is to prevent a D/T
3592 from being allocated as the input device? I've experimented with coding
a "UNIT=" parm, but the catalog knows the device type (X'78048083') and
simply allocated the correct device. I understand I can use esoterics to
control the allocation of the output device -- but I'm concerned with how the
system handles allocation of the INPUT device.

Regards,

Dennis McCarthy