Charles Mills wrote:
> You could write a subroutine to loop for one CPU second. That would fulfill
> the letter of the request below. Looping was how one implemented delays on
> single-processing small computers.
>
> It would not be a career-enhancing technique to use under z/OS.

but it was one of the common things way back when ... especially with
lots of the polling stuff. it would really hit badly when you migrated a
single application processing environment into a virtual machine guest.
there were all sorts of hacks developed to try and apply processing loop
compensation. another looping scenario that use to be quite prevalent
were things TIO-loops on SM+BUSY status  ... that preiodically would run
away.

i've frequently asserted that one of the issues that gave rise to
slow-start windows for tcp delay/congestion compensation was the
primitive state of timer primitives on many of the platforms (that were
either inadeqaute and/or too expensive for doing rate-based implementation).

sort of as part of hsdt
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#hsdt

we had done some high-speed backbone ... that included rate-based
management for combination of delay & congestion management ... running
in the internal network
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

the internal network had been larger than the internnet/arpanet from
just about the beginning (of both) until possibly mid-85.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internet

one of the issues was that we weren't allowed to bid on the original
NSFNET backbone
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/internet.htm#0

aka ... the great 1/1/83 switchover was a technology change to
internetworking protocol ... but it was the NSFNET backbone that
provided the internworking backbone between different networks ... that
possibly represents the actual operational birth of the modern internet.

minor references
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002k.html#12 NSFNET Program Announcement
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000e.html#10 NSFNET Award Announcement<

random past postings mentioning rate-based pacing
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#22 CP spooling & programming technology
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000b.html#11 "Mainframe" Usage
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001h.html#44 Wired News :The Grid: The
Next-Gen Internet?