From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Gilbert
Cardenas [gilbertcarde...@grocerybiz.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:29 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: HSM duplexing for ML2 Tapes

Hello all, we are on z/OS 1.9 using CA/TLMS and I want to turn on ML2
duplexing to reduce the amount of time and effort needed to recover an
ML2 volume (not really for offsite backups).

I have read most of the HSM duplex posts and the manuals to try to
formulate how this function works and from what I've read, if I want to
turn on HSM duplexing for existing ML2 tapes (not backups),
it's as easy as adding SETSYS DUPLEX(MIGRATION(Y)) to the
ARCCMD00 parmlib member.

The part that I (and apparently others) were confused about is the
partialtape setting.

Question 1 (Is this correct?)
If you specify MIGRATION(REUSE) an ML2 tape is not selected for
duplexing.  If you want an ML2 to be duplexed, you need to either
specify SETSYS PARTIALTAPE(MIGRATION(MARKFULL)) or generate a list
of partialtapes
LIST TTOC SELECT(ML2 NOTFULL) ODS(OUTPUT.DATASET) and mark
them full so that TAPECOPY will automatically duplex them.

Question 2 (Is this also correct?)
If the above is correct, then by marking an ML2 volume full before it is
actually full will probably triple the number of scratch tapes required.
An extra tape for each duplex copy and since all of a tape will not be
used, more tapes will be needed.

Can someone please help clarify this area for me.

Many thanks,
Gil.