-------------------------------<snip>--------------------------

I'm just puzzled that the enhancement limited itself to QSAM.
No mention of BPAM.

I had hoped this was an oversight in the doc, but apparently
not.  An assembly with:

   //SYSLIB    DD  UNIT=SYSALLDA,SPACE=(80,(1,1)),
   //  RECFM=FB,LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=80
   //          DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.MACLIB

Unless there is a typo, you concatenated a seq file (no directories)
with the PDS.

You mean I need _two_ commas, not just one?

Why does OPEN let me do that, and not just ABEND?

OK.  I changed to:

      6 //SYSLIB    DD  UNIT=SYSALLDA,SPACE=(80,(1,,1)),
        //  DISP=NEW,DSN=&&amp;MAC,
        //  RECFM=FB,LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=80
        X/SYSLIB   DD  DSN=SYS1.MACLIB,DISP=SHR
      7 //          DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.MACLIB

I needed to specify DISP and DSN to override those in the
library proc.

And it fails the same with:

********************************* TOP OF DATA **********************************
** ASMA999U Assembly terminated - SYNAD Exit taken - Permanent I/O error on SYSL
        ,HELLO   ,C       ,4140,D,SYSLIB  ,UNKOWN,WRNG.LEN.RECORD,00001F7100030

Experimental control: if I change BLKSIZE from 80 to 32760,
it assembles with no errors, and library macros are fetched
from the second catenand.
In your first example, you concatenated a PDS behind a PS dataset; AFAIK, this is never allowed.

In both examples, you seem to expect exactly correct records to be available. You have NO right to expect this because of your first (temporary) dataset, because there might be residual data on that track. In the second example, you've at least formatted the track withm a single directory block. But by specifying BLKSIZE=80, you've essential "set the stage", by overriding what the system can do. I'd be willing to wager that if you left the BLKSIZE off that first dataset, it might also work just fine.

Rick