On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:37:31 -0500, Rick Fochtman
<rfocht...@ync.net> wrote:

>... I was told that if you couldn't master the concepts of
>blocking/deblocking in BSAM, you had no business "messing
>around" with BPAM, which was designed as a "add on"
>product for BSAM. ...

He was right, but that logic didn't prevent IBM from creating QSAM
for those that "couldn't master" (read: "had better things to do
than") blocking/deblocking in BSAM.

QSAM handles individual members just fine so FIND, READ, WRITE
and STOW are working under the covers.   Seems like that covers
most of the functions.

I haven't written anything using BPAM since the mid '80s so I am
undoubtedly forgetting some BPAM quirks that might be tricky in
a QPAM.   Did BPAM have an easy way to do an "update in place"?
If so, I could have lived without that in QPAM.  I assume there must
have been more significant reasons than that.

Pat O'Keefe
been