According to IBM, in z/OS 1.10, we can no longer define a VSAM dataset with
the data CA track sizes of 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10 thru 14 tracks.

Snipet of II14458 (dated 12/14/08):
"When a VSAM data set or ICF Catalog is defined or redefined on
z/OS version 1 release 10 the index cisize may be increased.
This can occur if the data CA size was in tracks and the amount
specified was not 1,3,5,7,9 or 15 tracks. For example if the
space requested was TRK(2,2) the allocation amount will be
TRK(3,3) on z/OS 1.10. Since the data CA size is now larger the
minimum index cisize may increase. For those applications such
as IMS or CICS that have or may have static LSR pool definitions
a change to the index cisize may cause a data set to no longer
open after being redefined."

We ran into a problem while trying to FDR restore a VSAM dataset created in
z/OS 1.9 onto a z/OS 1.10 system.   The restore failed with a FDR157 so
Innovation tech support for told us to use the NEWI parameter.  Innovation
knew about this issue and was prepared with an answer.

Has anyone else ran across this situation?  Did anyone hear of this at the last
SHARE meeting?  I'm concerned that this didn't make it into a migration guide
and the Access Method Services manual doesn't mention this either.  Am I
blowing things out of proportion that IBM isn't doing a better job of informing
us of this change?

Thanks,

Todd Last
Lead Systems Programmer