On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, McKown, John wrote:

> How does one do this? Logging in as SERVICE and looking at the
> selections in Gnome didn't seem to have a way to shutdown the Linux
> system. I remembered that some Linux systems will shutdown if you tap
> the power button quickly. On the 2105, this crashed Linux and it had to
> do an fsck() due to a dirty /.

Well, since I am (still) not a mainframer, so we can have this subtle
problem with naming things, but if I read you correctly then what you
actually want to do is:

shutdown -h now  (shuts down Linux permamently, needs to be booted "by
hand")

or

shutdown -r now (reboots - the system will [should] get up by itself)

Both commands should be issued by root. In gnome, you need to start some
kind of terminal (look for words rxvt, xterm, konsole, terminal in menu).
Once in a terminal, simply type one of the above. I assume that you are
root, if not - either log in as root or use sudo or su - but let's assume
you are root.

If this is not the answer, sorry for noise.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_r...@bigfoot.com             **