Vikesh,
I think you too have hit on the performance limits of the old SMTP server
program.
SMTP is a single-task process. It can only do one thing at a time. So, the
tasks of
- process one SPOOL file
- store the email message(s) inside of that SPOOL file on disk and build the
distribution list and addressbook files for each message
- listen on the network for incoming mail (replies, bounced mail
notifications, etc), receive and store those
- contact the mail server to send one or more email messages
- update addressbook files for each sent message
- delete message files from disk when addressbook file says, it's been sent
to all recipients
are performed round-robin, one after the other.
Each of these functions takes time, including some built-in times to wait
for things to happen (listen on network, establish session with mail server,
file DYNALLOC, etc).
As far as I know from previous experience, there's not much you can do to
speed things up, except to make sure that SMTP gets all the CPU cycles it
wants by running it in the highest possible performance group. This might
shave off a second or two per mail message.
It also helps SMTP performance, if the mail server you're sending to is not
too busy and can respond to SMTP's requests as quickly as possible, perhaps
even receiving more than one mail message per connection request.

Luckily for you, each email seems to arrive on SPOOL as one single email
message per SPOOL file. You can bunch multiple email messages into one SPOOL
file (the program logic allows it), but I strongly advise against ever using
this technique. SMTP can do nothing else while processing a SPOOL file into
outgoing messages and storing them on disk. A multi-message SPOOL file can
take a long time to process and not a single message is sent while that
happens.

And another few words of warning:
Do NOT ever cancel SMTP while you have a large backlog of emails stored on
disk, waiting to be sent. Upon restart, SMTP first has to process all the
addressbook files, one at a time, to reestablish the "to-do-list" and that
will take a long time, too, before SMTP resumes its "normal" round-robin
processing.
Also ensure, that you do not run out of disk space, including VTOC space on
the disk(s) where your HLQ.TCPMAIL.** files are stored ... this causes nasty
failures in SMTP.
Running DFHSM or DFDSS disk backups on those disks may also lead to
failures, if SMTP tries to DYNALLOC a dataset and gets an enqueue conflict.
Beware!!

There's just one thing I can say: Hang tough.
And also take a look at the z/OS 1.11 announcement letter. There's mention
of a redesigned SMTP server that's supposed to perform better. There may be
light at the end of the tunnel ...

Regards,
Ulrich Krueger