Knutson, Sam wrote:
I have had some side conversations with folks outside and inside IBM
because the announcement lists this as chargeable but it was understood
that entitlement was to be included with z/OS.  Deep Blue says...

No Charge! So why the announcement letter came out with something to the
contrary I have asked the z/OS Marketing folks. There seems to have been
some type of a "boiler plate version" and in those preliminary notices
it was clearly "N/C" . So they are thinking that it's in the
configuration changes that perhaps have not caught up with the
announcement........

Whatever..........I'm still being told this is N/C! :>)

It would be nice to have the announcement corrected and maybe someone
from z/OS Technical Marketing could confirm here it is no charge. Say
has anyone seen John Eells?
<snip>

(I actually have nothing to do with pricing; or, for that matter, marketing. I just happen to be my organization's liason to marketing, which is how I suppose they arrived at my job title. I'll tell you all about it at SCIDS next week.)

But I'll come out to play anyway. For various internal reasons we have trouble saying "free" in announcements and things like ordering systems.

If I understand it correctly, what we've got here (other than "failure to communicate") is a value-unit-priced product called z/OSMF (order number 5655-S28) with a price of...wait for it...zero dollars and zero cents per value unit. Zero times any number of value units is still zero, and zero dollars converted to any other currency is likewise still zero.

However, service and support for z/OSMF (a different order number, one digit higher, 5655-S29) *does* have a charge associated with it.

Talk with your account team and if they come up with a different answer please let me know. I'll also verify all this tomorrow and see whether the announcement actually needs to be corrected.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing