We've been using Library Server with the traditional BookServer interface
happily for years, but I recently decided to enable extended shelf support,
primarily due to the fact that CICS and DB2 books are no longer being
delivered in BookManager format (PDF only).  Our existing setup only supported
PDFs where a book version also existed (not PDF-only books). We are not
using Library Centres (nor Centers).

My first problem was the version of XML - we have version 1.9, Library Server
3.1 only supported 1.6 (APAR II14277) so we applied UK47562 (sup'd UK28253)
and added SIXMLOD1 to the web server steplib and tried to enable extended
shelf support and rebuild the catalog.  No dice - mostly missing files, missing
indexes and permissions issues (even with uid 0).

To be honest I've tried so many variations I've forgotten half of them, but the
current situation has the environment variable
XERCESCROOT=/usr/lpp/ixm/IBM/xml4c-5_6 set in /etc/httpd.envvars and
results in (for  uid 0)
xksGetSupportQuery IsAvailable ( "XKSSupport" ) ERROR, errno=111=0x6F
xksGetSupportQuery errno 111 means EDC5111I Permission denied.
startXKSSubsystem xksGetSupport ( "/usr/lpp/booksrv/cgi-bin/" ) ERROR,
errno=111=0x6F

The documentation (which I eventually found in the z/OS 1.8 Program
Directory, GI10-0670-08) states "You may also need to set or modify LIBPATH,
ICU_DATA, and PATH environment variables."  "May"?  But where and what
values?  And are there any corresponding permissions settings?

If any of you reading this have extended shelf support enabled and working,
can you give me some pointers?  I should perhaps mention that we are running
z/OS 1.7 (yes, I know ...)

Many thanks,

Moira