Shai,

CBRXLCS is an API to OAM. So the real question; do all tape management
systems keep OAM up-to-date on the scratch/private status of tapes. To that
question, the answer would be yes (if they didn't, the out-of-sync errors
would be horrible and cause a data center to switch to a different tape
management system). How they keep OAM up-to-date varies with each tape
management system; and even within a tape management system there might be
multiple options. But regardless, if you want to determine the status of an
SMS managed tape; the CBRXLCS service would probably be sufficient.

However, your second question shows the problem. A data center CAN define
all their manual tape drives to SMS as MTL drives. But I doubt if very many
do this. Most data centers that have manual drives probably do not have them
defined as MTL unless there is a driving need to do so (such as having
multiple types of 3590-emulated devices outside of a robotic device). With
the exception of a "driving need"; most sites don't want the overhead of
having their manual drives defined and managed by SMS if it doesn't add any
benefit.

Which brings us to the problem of non-SMS managed libraries (there are many;
beyond just Sun/STK(Oracle?)). And those do not use SMS to manage their
processing. So, if your application uses CBRXLCS to get the status of a
tape; it will not work for non-IBM robotic/virtual solutions and will not
work with most manual devices.

Hope this help.
Russell Witt
CA L2 Support Manager