Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info. I understand that OAM will continue to be supported, but
not enhanced. If a new feature of the Oracle database requires an update to the
OAM, it means applications running on z/OS would not be able to use the new
Oracle feature. Is that correct? If so, it's hard to imagine that any company
using z/OS would consider using Oracle as the database. Oracle obviously knows
this, so in essence it seems they've given up on the z/OS platform. Would you
agree with this? Out of curiosity, can you shed any light on why this decision
was made; e.g. economical, political, technical, etc?

Thanks,

Dave Salt

SimpList(tm) - try it; you'll get it!
http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm

> Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:20:43 -0700
> From: bill.ma...@oracle.com
> Subject: Oracle on z/OS [was: Convert DB2 on z/OS to UDB on z/Linux]
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
>
> On 1 Sep 2009 22:51:02 -0700, ds...@hotmail.com (Dave Salt) wrote:
>>A while ago I mentioned on this forum that a friend of mine works for
> a company that
>>is considering a conversion from DB2 on z/OS to Oracle on z/Linux. I
> asked if anyone
>>had any opinions on this, and Frank Swarbrick pointed out that Oracle
> Access Manager
>>(which is the link between z/OS and z/Linux) has been "finalized" at
> version 10.2. I
>>passed this information on to my friend who passed it on to his
> management, and as a
>>result they are no longer interested in this option (many thanks to
> Frank for saving them
>>going on a wild goose chase!).
>
> Just to clarify any confusion that might result here, Oracle will be
> supporting
> the current 10.2 release of its z/OS product (including Access Managers for
> CICS and IMS) _indefinitely_, including testing with new releases of z/OS,
> CICS, IMS, and of the Oracle database (running on other platforms, such
> as z/Linux). Customers with questions about this should contact Barry
> Perkins,
> VP Oracle Modernization & Oracle Integrated Solutions, at 650 506 2747
> or email barry.perk...@oracle.com. Barry has been involved in Oracle's
> MVS products for many years and understands the issues involved.
>
> /b

New: Messenger sign-in on the MSN homepage
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9677403