On 8 Sep 2009 21:22:52 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>Yep. Amazing eh? All of the assembled brain power here arguing with the guy
>(Relson) who actually owns the component... <sheesh> It is a pretty common
>idea and (as you know) it even works, but more by happenstance than anything
>else. VLF is the boy doing the lifting under the covers. You could get the
>same result (and maybe more control) going direct to VLF.

This may be like the off-label usage of drugs in the US (using an
anti-cancer drug to treat arthritis for example).  A branch of IBM
other than the component owning division may well have recommended use
for non-load modules because they did testing and found it worked and
did good things.  Unfortunately, IBM like many other organizations
(including families) does not always talk to IBM so the expanded usage
has not been formally recognized.  I suspect the alternative uses need
to formalized.