On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:15:07 -0500, Kirk Wolf wrote:

>FYI - here's an APAR describing the new function:
>http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg1OA25204
>
>What is interesting to me is that it looks like the word containing the
>record length *does not* add 4 for the length of the prefix word itself.
>
>This is astonishing, since it is otherwise identical to the Extended Logical
>Record Interface (XLRI) added in 1.10.

Why should that be astonishing?  Don't you believe in Conway's Law?
Someone didn't understand and did it wrong (or at least incompatibly)
and now it shall never be undone.  The best we can hope for is that
in the future we will have a choice between the two conventions,
probably selected by a PARMLIB option.

In IBM's defense, they could point out that the length fullword
is added by the access method on write and removed on read, so
the programmer should never be aware of its content.

Unless the programmer accesses the file directly with Unix Services.

-- gil