Hi Frank,

   Usually and is the way i've used, in the same location, separated
machines for prod and test. But, having them in separated location,
maybe due to costs or DR, i mean, DR locations are normaly used only
when the main location is being affected due to a disaster, so the DR
machine is not being used when normal operations. Due to the costs
related to having a DR machine, i think is correct to use it for
development or testing purposes when is not being used for real DR or DR
tests. 7 years ago, i worked for an American company with 5 mainframes,
2 for development and DR purposes and the other 3 for production, all of
them in separated locations, this is normal in several big companies,
specially in application development companies.

Related to the TN3270, no matter how far or near you are from your work,
the response time depends on the connection speed, as an example, if you
are connected at 1 mile from your work using an old dialup modem, then
the response time will be slow, but if you are connected at the other
side of the world using a 1Gb or T1 connection, then the response time
will be fast. So i suggest you to check your connection speed, also
check how much people is being connected using the same connection.

Luck.
Enrique Montero