Jim,
>How reliable is FTP across the internet ?  I have a large number of DFDSS
>dumps to move to the IBM Remote Development Facility and the most >convenient
>way is via FTP.  Can I be confident that if the FTP completes without error
>then the DFDSS dump file will get there completely intact and without
>errors.  Or should I look for alternate methods of delivery such as copying
>the dumps to DVD.
I always had problems sending DSS dumps via ftp unless I tersed it. DSS expects
a short block at the beginning of the file and my ftp, especially to a
non-mainframe server always seemed to cause the resulting file to be reblocked.
The result was DSS would state it was not a valid backup. It seems to me that
you could use struct=r or something like that if you were ftp'ing from a z/os
directly to another z/os.
As for the Internet, you get what you get. There are ftp clients capable of
restarting the ftp at the point in the file where it failed. That would allow
you to avoid resending data that has already been received.
Good luck,
John