Skip Robinson wrote:

Maybe I'm overly jittery, but I'm actually more concerned about user
catalogs for CICS regions. These catalogs are shared among all members of a
sysplex. If we have to take down all regions to rebuild catalogs, that is
effectively a sysplex-wide outage whether or not we IPL.

1. As others said, it doesnt necessarily mean sysplex outage. Even CICS regions can be recreated in new catalogs, during rolling IPL.

2. It's been some time since, IBM dropped IMBED, hasn't it ?
Didn't you have any occasion to do it, since 1999 ?
Even 99.999% availability means some outage sometimes...

BTW: How about password protection ?
I met a sysprog who complained that it doesn't work as good as in the old days...

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland