On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 08:43:31 -0600 Howard Brazee <howard.bra...@cusys.edu>
wrote:

:>On 15 Sep 2009 06:59:56 -0700, dennis.ro...@lmco.com (Roach, Dennis  ,
:>N-GHG) wrote:

:>>> Reconstruct what?    I thought 97 meant the open statement was
:>>> successful and file integrity was verified.   So the file is OK, the
:>>> open is OK.

:>>> What am I missing?

:>>That depends on how important data integrity is to you.
:>>97 indicates that the last user of the file did not close it properly.
:>>The mechanics of the file (index/CI/CA) structure is valid.
:>>It does not insure that all of the buffers were written to the file when it
was not closed.
:>>I.E. - you may be missing data.

:>So you're saying I cannot trust that "file integrity is verified". It
:>may be lying.   Have you come across this happening?

Lying?

For example, file is opened for output, application puts a record and abends
before the data is firmed. Index and data is in synch, but the new data is not
there.

http://www.dissensoftware.com